Selznick, B. (2011). Wonderstruck: A Novel in Words and Pictures. New York, NY: Scholastic.
This enchanting story is about two individuals who are searching for a missing family member, but strangely these two people who are on the same quest are from different points in time. There is a 50 year gap for both Ben and Rose who happen to be searching for that missing piece in their lives that will make them feel complete. The story is written in both text and visual representation to illustrate how both Ben and Rose on the journey to the same thing, and they even go to the same museum to find clues to help them find their missing family members. Another strange similarity is that both characters happen to be deaf, and I find that to a weirdly ironic. Will these characters meet at some point in the near future or will they pass each other unbeknownst?
When I read this book I found the who 50 year timeline gap to be too much to keep up, and I had to keep rereading to make sense of what I read. I liked how the illustrations add a sense of adventure and mystery, but the lack of color seemed to make the story boring. Perhaps younger readers will like this book, but the timeline gap and everything else didn't keep my interests while reading this book.

No comments:
Post a Comment