Saturday, November 26, 2016

We Are the Ship: The Story of Negro League Baseball

 Nelson, K. (2008). We are the Ship: The Story of Negro League Baseball. New York, NY: Jump at the Sun/Hyperion Books for Children. 

The informative story is a historical nonfiction book which is about the United States National Negro League of Baseball. During the time of segregation many of the Negros had their own teams to play baseball with, and a few colleges who allowed Negros to play ball with white people. As war was drawing near many of the black players decided to sign up for the war, and those who did come back from war eventually joined back up again. At this point one of the most famous Negro baseball players was Jackie Robinson who played for the Brooklyn Dodgers team starting in 1945. Even though, he was consider to be a great player and who broke through racial barriers he did face some challenges due to people who were ignorant. Read about the others Negro players and how the league started.

I must admit that I've never been a fan of baseball, and it was a struggle to even read this book since it had baseball in it. The only things that I like was the great illustrations, the coloring of the pictures, and the historical parts of the story. I may not have read this book, because I truthfully would have chosen it since it had to do with baseball. As a teacher I would have this book in my class to showcase it during black history month and for the baseball worthy fans in my class. 


No comments:

Post a Comment