Draper, S. M. (2010). Out of My Mind. New York, NY: Atheneum Books for Young Readers.
Out of My Mind is a story about a young girl, Melody, who can't talk or walk at all but she can remember anything she sees and hears. Melody was diagnosed with a serious case of cerebral palsy, but that doesn't stop her from trying to be like the other students. At a early age, a helpful neighbor and babysitter taught Melody that being different is okay, and it's from that very moment that Melody believes that with all her heart. Her neighbor, Mrs. Valencia aka Mrs. V, begins to teach Melody all sorts of words, phrases, numbers, and so much more. Melody absorbs it like a sponge want to learn more, and even though she can't talk which can drive anyone crazy who just wants to be heard must learn to be patient when using her talking board. Melody gets lucky enough to get a computerized talking machine which allows her to finally to talk and be understood by others. Read and find out about Melody's journey.
This was one of my favorite reads that I immensely enjoyed with all my heart. Sharon M. Draper really developed the character Melody and everything that happened in the story. I believe this is a great teachable story that has a great lesson to share to students and other readers. I will just say this story did make me cry, because I developed such a connection with the character. So, be prepared and keep Kleenex close by.

No comments:
Post a Comment